Liver Transplant Surgery in India is performed to remove a diseased liver and replace it with a healthy
liver from donor. Many people have had liver transplants and now lead normal lives. A liver transplant is necessary when disease makes the liver stop working. The most common reason for liver transplantation in adults is cirrhosis, a disease in which healthy liver cells are killed and replaced with scar tissue.
Who needs Liver Transplant Surgery in India
- Hepatitis B
- Hepatitis C
- Alcohol induced cirrhosis
- Autoimmune Hepatitis
- Liver tumors
- Acute/fulminant liver failure
Rare Complications during Liver Transplant Surgery in India
As with any other surgical procedure, complications may arise after Liver Transplant Surgery in India
There is a small risk of bleeding from the place where the donor and recipient blood vessels were sewn together (Anastomosis site). This is minimized by monitoring clotting factors in the blood after surgery.
Your body will recognize your new organ as foreign and immune cells (lymphocytes) can attack the transplanted organ. Most patients experience some degree of rejection, but it is usually easily reversed with medications Rejection occurs when your body’s natural defenses, called the immune system, damage the new liver. Your immune system keeps you healthy by fighting against things that don’t belong in your body, such as bacteria and viruses. After a transplant, it is common for your immune system to fight against the liver and try to destroy it
Hepatic Artery Thrombosis:
A clot can form in the hepatic artery that can cause the liver to malfunction. We perform an ultrasound the day after Liver Transplant Surgery in India to look for this complication and monitor you throughout your postoperative course. If it is found, medications or surgical repair can minimize permanent damage and avoid retransplantation..
You immune system is suppressed after a transplant making you more at risk for certain infections. We will prescribe medications to prevent the more common post transplant infections. You will need to monitor your temperature at home and make certain adjustments in your daily life to avoid harmful infections.
Precautions during Liver Transplant Surgery in India
The first three months after transplant are the most risky for getting such infections as the flu, so patients should follow these precautions:
- A fever that continues for more than 2 days
- shortness of breath
- A cough that produces a yellowish or greenish substance
- Tell the doctor if you are exposed to any disease.
- Tell the doctor if a cold sore, rash, or water blister appears on the body or spots appear in the throat or on the tongue.
- Stay out of crowds and rooms with poor circulation.
- Stay away from soil, including those in which house-plants are grown, and gardens, during the three months following transplant.
- Take all medications as directed.
- Learn to report the early symptoms of infection.
- Wash hands after coughing or sneezing, and throw tissues into the trash immediately.
- Avoid handling animal waste and avoid contact with animals who roam outside. Do not clean bird cages or fish or turtle tanks or cat litter. The cat litter box should be covered and taken out of a patient’s home before it is changed.
- If someone in the patient’s family becomes ill with a cold of flu, have that individual follow normal precautions (use separate drinking glasses, covering their mouths when coughing, etc.)
- If the patient has a wound and must change his own dressing, wash hands before and after.
To ensure that the Liver Transplant Surgery in India is successful and that the patient has a long and healthy life, keep in touch with doctors and nurses, and follow their advice. Nutrition plays a big part of a liver transplant, so what a patient eats after the transplant is very important.
After Liver Transplant Surgery in India
- You will stay in the hospital for 1 to 3 weeks to be sure your new liver is working. Your Doctor will give you medicines to prevent rejection of your new liver and to prevent infections. Your doctor will check for bleeding, infections, and rejection. During this time you will learn how to take care of yourself and use your medicines to protect your new liver after you go home.
- In the hospital, you will slowly start eating again. First you will start with liquids, and then to solid food as your new liver starts work.
- After you leave the hospital, you will see your doctor often to be sure your new liver is working well. You will have regular blood tests to check that your new liver is not being damaged by rejection, infection, or problems with blood vessels. Report your Doctor if any illnesses. It is important to do what your doctor says to take care of your new liver.
Diet and Nutrition after Liver Transplant Surgery in India
You have been ill for a long time prior to your transplant. Therefore your Diet is an important part of your recovery, Eat healthy and balanced diet will help get you back on your feet again. Your diet should include Fruits, Vegetables , Whole-grain cereals and breads, Low -fat milk and dairy products, Lean meats, fish, or other sources of protein
Approx. Cost of Liver Transplant Surgery in India : $34,000 – $40000 USD
Hospitals stay during Liver Transplant Surgery in India : 20 Days
Write to us for a Free No Obligation Opinion and Cost Estimate for Liver Transplant Surgery in India
Please scan and email your medical reports and images to us and we shall get you a Free, No Obligation Opinion from India’s leading Specialist Doctors.
Donor Requirement For Liver Transplant Surgery in India
- 18 – 55 yrs of age with no chronic illness and related to the patient
- The donor should have the same blood group as that of the patient or should have Blood Group ‘O’.
- Should not be obese as they tend to have fatty liver which is not suitable for donation.
Package Inclusions For Liver Transplant Surgery in India
- Evaluation of one suitable donor and the Recipient. This evaluation will be done on OPD basis and takes 3 – 5 days.
- Donor surgery and Recipient transplant surgery.
- Medications during the hospital stay
- Hospital stay of up to 8 days for donor and upto 20 days for the recipient. Both will be admitted one day prior to the day of surgery.
Once the evaluation as mentioned in para 1 above is complete then the state authorisation committee will approve the transplant after examining the documents (documents proving the relation of the donor with the recipient) which takes 3 – 5 days.
After discharge from the hospital the donor will be required to stay in India for 7 – 10 days. The recipient is advised to stay in India for 4 – 6 weeks so that he can be followed up in the OPD at frequent intervals.
Best Hospitals for Liver Transplant Surgery in India
India has some of the best hospitals for Liver Transplant Surgery in India. Using the latest available technology and techniques the Liver Transplant Surgery in India is done. A large of doctors and surgeons are nationally renowned for their expertise in performing Liver Transplant Surgery in India.
Medicure Medical Travels has been helping international patients in getting Liver Transplant Surgery in India at world class hospitals. Our patients are fully satisfied with our service and consultancy. Some of the best hospitals in India work with us. We encourage our patients to first read about our patient testimonials and what they feel about medical tourism India. It will give you an idea about Medicure Medical Travels and what drives our work. We have been serving medical tourists with sincerity and dedication since our inception
Read more Liver Transplant Surgery in India patient testimonials
Is Your Treatment Not Listed Above ?
Please accept our sincere apologies. Can you please just send us your treatment query on our mail and we will send you the full treatment details