Kidney transplant surgeries have now become fairly common and the technology has also advanced by leaps and bounds. But before you opt for kidney transplant surgery in India some basic points should be kept in mind. Being aware if these points will not only help in a far smoother experience and will also help prospective kidney transplant patients to understand how the kidney transplant surgery in India work.
The first question that strikes any kidney patient or their relatives is that kidney can be arranged in India. The is a total myth. FACT: Kidney Transplant Surgery in India requires that the donor who is donating his/her kidney should be related to the patient. A blood relation needs to be established. Some hospitals or companies might make gullible patients to believe that kidneys can be arranged in India. Please note this not at all possible. Arranging kidneys like this is a punishable offence in India. Patients and their relatives are strongly urged to desist from seeking this course.
Before a kidney patient is permitted for kidney transplant surgery in India lot of documentation and paperwork is filed. There is then a kidney transplant screening committee that looks at all the reports and makes its decision. All such steps are to ensure that the kidney patient gets the best treatment in India and the donor also is accorded a high level of treatment.
PRE EVALUATION/ WORK-UP BEFORE KIDNEY TRANSPLANT SURGERY IN INDIA
• The kidney patient can come first, be evaluated, have dialysis and then be worked up for kidney transplant surgery in India.
• It would be advised that they (kidney patient) should come for pre-evaluation and kidney transplant surgery in India after they identify a live donor.
• We need more details especially viral markers (HIV mainly of donor and recipient) and blood group of both donor and recipient. If HIV is negative and related donor is blood group compatible, there is no reason why the patient cannot go for transplant.
• We can go ahead with the kidney transplant work-up, provided the donor is related and the retroviral
status is clear.
• Before going for the kidney transplant surgery in India, patient may need a complete Cardiac evaluation (based
on the clinical findings /reports), which can be confirmed by our panel cardiologists.
PATIENT ELIGIBILITY FOR KIDNEY TRANSPLANT SURGERY:
Patients will not qualify for the package and will be considered to be complex and High Risk with the following conditions:
• Uncontrolled bleeding.
• Diabetes out of control.
• Over 80 years of age.
• Any other medical/ clinical parameters decided by the treating doctor.